Facts About Steel
Steel is the favored metal used by metal fabricators like PTL Fabricators. Here are a few facts about steel
Steel is a low-carbon alloy that’s typically made of iron, tin, and carbon. It can withstand corrosion, heat, and pressure. For these reasons and the fact that steel is easy to recycle, make it undoubtedly the best metal for metal fabrication.
- 69% of steel is recycled each year, which is more than paper, aluminum, plastic, and glass combined.
- 80 million tons of steel is recycled each year.
- Steel is roughly 1,000 times stronger than iron and can be recycled without losing strength.
- Steel is the main material used in delivering renewable energy like solar, hydro, and wind power.
- More than 600 steel cans are recycled every second.
- Recycling a single steel can saves enough energy to power a 60-watt light bulb for almost 4 years.
- Steel roofs last more than 50 years.
- 75% of all major appliances are made of steel.
- The average computer is about 25% steel.
- The first steel building was the Home Insurance Building in Chicago in 1884.
- Because steel expands when heated, the Eiffel Tower is about 6 inches taller in the summer than in the winter.
- The first steel-made automobile was produced in 1918.
- Seatbelts are required due to their consistent ability to withstand high-impact crashes.
- Steel bridges are four to eight times lighter than those built from concrete.
- The Golden Gate Bridge took 83,000 tons of steel to build.
- Two-thirds of all canned goods use steel.
When you want to know about metal, turn to the experts at PTL Fabricators. We utilize more than 30 years of industrial experience to tackle our industry’s toughest challenges with inventive solutions. Contact us today.