Plumbing or Process Piping – Which Do You Need?
There is a difference between plumbing and process piping. PTL explains the difference.
While there may be physical similarities between plumbing and process piping they serve very different functions.
In industrial operations, process piping controls the movement of a wide variety of fluids and gases.
- The piping system includes:
- Flow control instruments
- Pressure control equipment
- Temperature control instruments
- Flanges & tubing
- Nuts, bolts, and gaskets
- Process piping systems usage includes:
- Oil and gas refineries
- Chemical processing
- Food and beverage
- Power plants
- Paper mills
- Brewing plants
- Wastewater treatment plants
Plumbing systems adhere to different codes and regulations.
- The most common uses for plumbing includes:
- Distributing potable water
- Waste removal
- Cooling systems
The biggest difference between the two is:
- Plumbing systems bring water into a facility and provides safe drainage for water and wastewater as it exits a facility.
- Process piping moves chemicals, gases, water, and other fluids in support of an internal manufacturing or processing operation.
At PTL, our capabilities include design support and construction services for complex process piping systems. Since process piping doesn’t fall under municipal codes like plumbing, there are engineering standards that govern the design and construction of process piping which fall under the American Society of Civil and Mechanical Engineers (ASCME) guidelines.
Industrial operations rely on process piping as a critical component of daily operations. At PTL Fabricators, we can assist clients with all aspects of process piping, including:
- Installation by qualified welders and pipefitters
- Material selection
- Routing design and implementation
- Manual and control valves
- Heat tracing
PTL adheres to all OSHA standards for process piping and maintains up-to-date knowledge of state ordinances.
If your new project or construction calls for process piping give PTL a call. Turn to the experts at PTL Fabricators. We utilize more than 30 years of industrial experience to tackle our industry’s toughest challenges with inventive solutions. Contact us today.