Stay Cool in Your Steel Building This Summer
There are plenty of things you can do to keep your steel building cool during the upcoming warmer months. PTL has a few tips for you.
Add a cool metal roof
- Roofs that are light in color and have reflective coatings can reflect the sun’s UV rays away from your metal building.
- Traditional roofing materials can heat up as high as 190º on a hot summer day.
- You can keep inside temperatures down by installing a cool metal roof.
- If you have an older metal building, upgrading your insulation will help bring your building up to current energy efficiency standards.
- If you’re designing a new building, make sure your insulation meets the minimum suggested R-value for your area.
- Some local electric companies provide incentives like rebates or affordable financing to make these changes feasible.
- Adequate ventilation is a good way to keep temperatures at a minimum.
- Use natural ventilation by opening windows at night and then keeping them closed during the day to keep the cool air inside. Use a programmable thermostat that will keep your A/C from cycling on when windows are open.
- Use ventilation in your attic space to vent out hot air back outside.
Add awnings, and canopies
- Awning and overhangs will yield a noticeable difference.
- Extend your roof or add awnings to west and south facing exposure to the sun.
- Plant trees and shrubs that will shade western and southern exposed walls and windows.
- Plant deciduous trees that will drop their leaves, allowing you to benefit from the sun’s rays on colder days.
PTL is an official Butler Building® contractor. We use over 30 years of experience to tackle our industry’s toughest challenges with innovative solutions. Our reputation for customer satisfaction and quality makes PTL Fabricators a trusted source for businesses of all sizes. To learn more about custom metal building construction, contact PTL.